I have big news...exciting and scary all at the same time. Steven and I have always talked about how we have felt a desire to do something with our lives that will make a difference in the lives of children. Obviously my job (teaching) gives me a great deal of satisfaction in this desire, but I feel I could do more. In light of the new bill passing, making it where only married husband and wife families can foster and adopt children's in the state of Arkansas, Steven and I have felt God calling us to step up and try to do something to served Him in this area. We heard about a new advocacy group in AR, called 'CALL' (http://www.thecallinarkansas.org/Becoming_a_foster_parent.asp), and began looking into it. I have emailed with one of the groups representatives, and Steven and I are signed up to attend an informational class on the night of Jan. 19, 2009, and then if we decide to proceeded (which we are almost certain we will) we will then register for the required classes to get us certified to be foster parents, these will take two whole weekends in February (the 7 & 8 and the 21 & 22). We are nervous and excited about this venture all at the same time. We are praying really hard for guidance from the Lord, that he show us what He wants us to do, and then gives us the wisdom, ability and courage to follow Him where ever He may lead us as a couple and family.
The plan right now is to seek out only one child to foster at a time, and we are hoping to stick with the lowest age group, birth through age 5, but we will be open to boys or girls, and children of any race, and any special needs (as long as they we are able to provide for any special needs they have). We don't yet know how we will handle childcare, have a "slot" at an appropriate facility for whatever age youngster we have at a given time, and how we will pay for this. The foster family gets a stipend each month to help absorb some of the cost of raising the children, but I doubt its any where near the amount I know day cares cost these days. Were just going to trust in the Lord to provide for us in this area when the time comes, its something we would eventually have to figure out anyway, when we decided to have our own baby.
We would appreciate any prayers that could be said for us in this exciting and new endeavor we are about to pursue. This will be a new chapter in our lives, and we are so ready to see what amazing things God has in store for us.
2 years ago


2 comments:
What an awesome thing to do! You have my thoughts and prayers...and my utmost respect!
That's a big responsibility! Keep us posted on how it all works out!
Post a Comment