Wednesday, August 26, 2009

"He has what?!..."

On Sunday afternoon Baby L awoke from his nap with a little bit of "sleep" in the corners of his eyes (aka: eye boogies). No biggie, wiped his eyes, moved on. Then Monday morning he woke up with a bit more, even some crusting. Still not overly worried. Tuesday morning his eyes are matted shut and we have to help him pry his eyelids open. Now, a little concerned...
Pick him up from daycare at about 3:45, and we go to visit grammy at her new Walgreens store in Maumelle. I mention his 'eye boogie' problem to her and she immediatly tells me he has pink eye. "I'm not so sure, his eyes aren't pink.." I say in return. "Doesn't matter, if his eyes are getting matted as he sleeps, he has an infection of the conjunctiva," she tells me. I ask, "any chance it will clear up on its own?" She stiffles a laugh.
Grrrr...its so early in the school year for me to miss a day already...then I remember his doctors office, GPC at ACH has extended hours, until 9 pm daily. So I call and get then to work him in. We get an appointment at 7 pm.
Mom, L, and I hand out for a while. Then we go grab a bite of dinner. Then make our way to GPC. Its busy, way more so than it ever is when I've taken him to a day time appointment. We wait, for like an hour, but not a big deal really, because L is in a good mood and playing with us, and mom and I just visit.
We go back and a physician comes in right away. She looks at his eyes and agrees he will need to be treated for a bacterial infection. She wants to go ahead and look him over while we have him in...good thing she did, because she proceeded to discover that his left ear is infected, and he has a resperatory infection. Lovely.
So we eventually made it back to a Walgreens pharmacy, to pick up L's 3 perscriptions. He is on oral antibiotics 2x a day for 10 days, 2 drops of antibiotic eye drops in each eye, 4x a day for 5 days, and albuteral inhaler breathing treatments every 4 to 6 hours for 3 days, then prn.
Jeez! And I was annoyed when I thought he had just pink eye I was going to have to treat!

2 comments:

Leah Wentzel said...

o boy, i hope this is not a sign of things to come this winter! at least after you get through this it should be a while before he gets anything else. my son was sick a lot last winter, which stinks, but it is what it is.

Lori said...

Poor Baby!! WAtch out with pink eye..you will get it too and it ain't fun! I had it 3 times when I worked at a daycare! yuck