Welcome to Not Me! Monday! This blog carnival was created by MckMama. You can head over to her blog to read what she and everyone else have not been doing this week.
Well, Brooke graduated this weekend from college. Her graduation was in another town, so she and I rode up with my dad and grandfather. The following conversation did not take place in the car on our way:
Grandpa: "So when is one of you ladies going to give me some great grand babies to play with?"
Brooke: "Don't look at me!"
Me: "Well, I should have a baby very soon, you remember I said Steven and I should be receiving our license to begin providing foster care in the coming week. So really any day now I could have a baby to take care of and share with you all."
Grandpa: "No, I mean a real baby."
Me: "Foster babies are REAL babies."
Dad: "He means your own kids."
Grandpa: "Yeah, family, kids who will share our blood."
Me: (honestly too upset/peeved off to say much of anything, so I let the conversation drop...for the time being)
And, even if that conversation had taken place, I would not have let it bother me. I am above concern for what other think of me, I don't even care if my family is supporting of this adventure we are about to begin.
I did not relish babysitting for a our friends Friday night so they could go watch our (Arkansas') American Idol Kris Allen give a concert. As a matter of a fact I do not ever look forward to watching their kids because they are so sweet and too darn cute! And I did not enjoy this play time with the kids even more than usual because it gave me another chance to play with my camera on the subjects I intended it for: kids!
These are not some of the pics I got, and I do not happen to think they are pretty good if I
Lastly, I am not thrilled to say we only have 18 days left of school for this school year. I am not so excited, because I did not consider the summers off as a major appeal to the teaching profession. I do not need a break, because I am not the least bit tired of getting up at 5:30 am and spending my entire day with 8-year-olds. Nope, not me, I don't need a break at all!
------------------------------------------
I DO want to make a prayer request. Please pray for Steven and I as we get close to actually taking in foster babies. We pray for their health and safety while they are still with their families, and also for our own wisdom and love for them when they come to be with us. We want to show them the love and compassion of God in a tangible way. I specifically need prayers to not let other negative comments/attitudes/opinions about our becoming foster parents affect my feelings. Not everyone 'understands' why we have such a strong desire to do this (umm...who are we to say No to GOD!) and are inadvertently sharing their feelings/concerns for us in ways I am taking personally. I need to just give these feelings to God, I know He can fix/heal my heart so that I let these go, and follow Him.


1 comment:
i know exactly what you mean about the negative comments, i don't know who is making these comments but i WANT TO SHARE WITH YOU MY EXPERIENCE. (sorry, didn't mean to use all caps there) anyway, most of the people in our lives have been supportive of it but they seem to all feel the need to make little comments here and there that hurt some times. I started journaling as soon as we decided to go forward with all of this and I have been sharing the "how we came to our decision" part of our story on my blog. But, my dad doesn't read my blog, and he kept making comments that led me to believe that he didn't think we knew what we were getting into (which obviously we don't) and that maybe it wasn't the right decision.
I decided it was time to put my big girl pants on and go to bat with my dad. I called him, out of no where, and told him that this was his chance to ask me anything he wanted to and I also asked him to tell me what he was so concerned about. ANd he did, and I had a God-filled answer for everything he brought up. He walked away from that conversation knowing that we were doing what God wanted us to, and- as I write this I am starting to tear up-he was the first one I told, after my husband, that we were officially licensed and he was genuinely happy for us. It was the best thing I could have done. It was so good for both of us.
Post a Comment