Monday, May 25, 2009

Just another day in paradise the ER....

Baby E is still so congested and cruddy feeling, we hardly got any rest last night again. After he only took about 12 oz total for me over a 24 hour period, and only had three wet diapers, Steven and I decided it was better safe than sorry and took him on in to Children's Hospital at about 4 am this morning.

He was still very fussy and we had to work hard to occupy him so the doctors could examine him. But when he found out they were going to catheterize him to get a urine sample, and do a deep nasal suction to clear some of his congestion, he got very worried. (This is is worried look, with the furrowed eyebrows)He put up quite a fight to both of these procedures. It took three of us to hold him still for the catheterization, and four to pin him to the bed so the respiratory therapist could do the deep suction of his nasal passages and sinus'. He screamed and cried and made me feel like a really mean mom for letting the doctors and nurses torture him this way, but it ended well. He slept for the two hours we had to wait for his lab work to clear us. And woke from this power nap in a much improved mood. I knew he was really needing some rest!

But now its almost 10 pm on the next night and he is very congested again. I just can't suck him out nearly as well as they can with that super powered booger/snot sucker. He is still having trouble with taking his bottles. I've only gotten about 8 oz of formula into him today, but he did eat a jar of sweet potatoes, and take about 16 oz of pedialite. So at least I'm not having to worry about dehydration and such. I'm taking off work tomorrow to be home with him. I know he isn't feeling well enough for daycare, and I imagine if I took him is as fussy as he is they would not be too happy with me either!

2 comments:

Leah Wentzel said...

looks like you are getting a crash course in dealing with sick babies! what a drag, did they put him on any antibiotics or anything? ear infection? cold?

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, no one ever said being parent was an easy job. Just know there are many rayers and thoughts going upstairs fr you guys and Little E. We are all on your side and vary roud of you and what you are doing
Uncle Jerry & Aunt Barbara