Thursday, July 1, 2010

Tubes

Baby L did get his tubes into his ears today. He did really well. Its a minor, very routine surgery, but of course I was still concerned that he come through the procedure easily and without trauma (I was more concerned with emotional trauma). After our bouts in and out of the ER in early May with rotavirus he has been very wary of doctors, nurses, and being examined. And who could blame him after all that poking and prodding when he was feeling his worst.

As I said though, he did great. We arrived to the surgery center at 7:15, checked in and sat in the waiting room for about 15 minutes. Then he and I went back to pre-op and sat on a gurney waiting for about 20 minutes, the anesthesia doctor, and Dr. M, our ENT came by for a quick info spill. Then a nurse came and took L from me, and he went to her without crying (thank goodness)! She took him back to the OR and I went back to the waiting room. Then, I would guess about 5-7 minutes later, Dr. M came through to get us and take us back to recovery to get him. He was fussy and thrashing around, but not overly upset. I sat down and gave him a cup, and he sat and took it quietly. We sat for about 10 minutes letting him finish waking up and getting back with it, then we were told we could head home, with a prescription for antibiotic ear drops to do twice a day for several days. THAT'S IT! We arrived at 7:15, and were back in the car, heading home by 8:15! He never had to even change out of the clothes I took hm in wearing, no IVs, just a masked anaesthesia. That's what I call efficient, and painless.

We came home, and of course Baby L was raring to go. No lingering effects of the anaesthesia, he wanted to play, and only took his one normal nap in the afternoon.
And, best of all, tomorrow, we are cleared to head back to the pool, so we will be swimming.

Tomorrow evening another foster baby with be joining us for respite care, for two weeks while his foster family is out of town. We will have Baby C from July 2 until July 18! I am going to need prayers for energy, and patience to keep up with my 17 month old, AND a 5 month old.

1 comment:

Leah Wentzel said...

glad it went good! enjoy the new baby!